Why Order Medication Monitoring Services?
Medication monitoring is an objective clinical tool for health care professionals who need clear, reliable information about their patients’ use or misuse of prescribed medications, non-prescribed medications or illicit substances in order to make informed clinical decisions regarding treatment.
Results can initiate a conversation about a patient’s health. Benefits of medication monitoring services include:
- Provides an objective means to determine and document whether or not a patient is taking prescribed or non-prescribed medications or illicit substances.
- Helps to identify possible drug-drug interactions.
- Helps to identify possible misuse, abuse or diversion.
Quantitative Drug and Metabolite Testing
Ark Laboratory exclusively uses liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry (LC-MS/MS) technology for three main reasons:
- It is highly sensitive, allowing for identification of individual drugs and metabolites using a minimal volume (1-2mL useable urine) of specimen
- It is highly specific (i.e. identifies both drug classes and specific drugs and metabolites within that class)
- Minimizes the impact of cross-reactivity found in immunoassay tests
Specific drug and metabolite identification and quantification by LC-MS/MS from ARK Laboratory provides highly accurate information to help health care professionals make more informed decisions and identify ways to improve patient care and ensure safety.